[b-greek] Re: YEUDO-ELLHNIZW?

From: Mark Wilson (emory2oo2@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Mar 21 2001 - 09:17:56 EST

<x-flowed>
Keith:

> ...and not to translate these things this way is to lie about what the
>Greek text says!
> This seems to be plainly wrong to me, and the alternative translations
>(just 'spirit' and 'the ful(l)ness') are allowed.

Because a particular translation is allowed on a grammatical basis alone has
no bearing on whether or not it is in actuality correct, or even what the
author had in mind. On B-Greek, we must all answer these questions of
translation based on our hermeneutical presuppositions, as well as our
theological ones.

Just as we have recently finished our "a god" or "God" discussions; the
answers to these kind of questions are not settled on the
grammatical/syntactical battle field.

I mention this only because I sensed from your question that if a particular
construct has a possible translation, that it is equally acceptable.... such
is far from the case. Your translations suggested above are fine, but you
must FIRST settle on your presuppositions.

My thoughts,

Mark Wilson