[b-greek] Re: Rising up in Polycarp

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Sun Apr 01 2001 - 17:47:12 EDT

At 12:53 PM -0400 4/1/01, Bart Ehrman wrote:
> Curious clause in Polycarp's letter to the Philippians 9:2. Speaking
>of Ignatius and other martyrs, he indicates:
>
> "For they did not love the present age, ALLA TON hUPER hHMWN
>APOQANONTA KAI DI' hHMAS UPO TOU QEOU ANASTANTA. (= "but the one who died
>for us and ..." and what?)
>
> I.e., what is one to make of this use of UPO + the genitive with the
>intransitive verb?
>
> Bauer-Danker says the intransitive is used in place of the passive.
>Is that right? (It's normally translated that way). And Smythe gives
>other examples of intransitives used with UPO and the genitive; but they
>don't seem to apply.
>
> My sticking point: should it be translated "and was raised by God" or
>something like "and arose by the power of God."

This question plays right into my thesis about the Greek aorist "passive"
forms: I would have no qualms in translating this as "and raised by
God"--although I think "and who rose through God's agency." I don't think
(as I once did) that there's an ounce of difference between HGERQHN and
ANESTHN: both are really intransitive aorists meaning "arose"--and such
aorists may be accompanied by a hUPO + genitive construction to permit a
passive interpretation.

--

Carl W. Conrad
cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu