[b-greek] Re: Eph 4:6

From: Blahoslav Cicel (cbmost@volny.cz)
Date: Sun Apr 08 2001 - 03:02:35 EDT

On Fri, 06 Apr 2001 18:14:05 -0400, Matthew W. Farrell wrote:

> Blahoslav Cicel wrote:

>> Hello list,

>> I have a question about Eph 4:6
>> Ephesians 4:6
>> hEIS QEOS KAI PATHR PANTWN hO EPI PANTWN KAI DIA PANTWN KAI EN PASIN hUMIN

>> to what is hUMIN at the end linked.

<SNIP>
>> is it posible to read it this way?

>> hEIS QEOS KAI PATHR PANTWN (hUMWN)
>> hO EPI PANTWN (hUMWN)
>> KAI DIA PANTWN (hUMWN)
>> KAI EN PASIN hUMIN

<SNIP>

> Matthew Farrell Responds:

> Blahoslav Cicel,

> You raise a good question. First of all, the majority of manuscripts do not
> include
> hUMIN. The majority of manuscripts, including the "best" ones, end at PASIN.
> According
> to O'brien, the addition of hUMIN, (and even more broadly represented hHMIN)
> were
> added to restrict the reference of "all" to believers. Therefore, whether the
> hUMIN/hHMIN is related to the whole string (more likely) or simply the last
> prepostional phrase (less likely), theologically, the additions would make a
> significant difference in the letter of Ephesians.

> Blessings,
> Matthew W. Farrell

Thank you. I checked the other editions of GNT and it is so:

TR ends with PASIN hUMIN
BYZ ends with PASIN hHMIN
NA26 ends with PASIN.

Why thei include/ommit hUMIN/hEMIN is not a question for me at this
moment.

If the inclusion/ommission has any theological implications, I am not
sure and - as it is out of scope of b-greek - I will not discuss it
on-line. I am open for an off-line exchange of opinions.

I thing, as Matthew doe's, it is likly the hUMIN is related to the whole
string.

As I was very busy the whole day I could not react earlier. I look
forward to see the recent postings as soon I will upload this and
download the yesterday's portion.

Blahoslav Cicel
pastor in the nice part of Czecho :-)
-- Arachne V1.70;rev.3, NON-COMMERCIAL copy, http://arachne.cz/