[b-greek] Re: Jn 20:9, DEI AUTON EK NEKRWN ANASTHNAI

From: Chuck Tripp (ctripp@ptialaska.net)
Date: Fri Apr 13 2001 - 21:51:45 EDT

Mark,

From "Greek: An Intensive Course" by Hardy Hansen and Gerald M. Quinn,
section 88, page 270:

"Many of the prepositions learned thus far can be used as prefixes in order
to form compound verbs. Although quite often similar to the preposition in
meaning, the prefix can sometimes have a somewhat different force."

Which was what my point was in my original post. While used as a
preposition, ANA has the sense of up, upwards, it also can have the sense of
repetition when pre-fixed to a verb.

The other point I was trying to make that even this does not conclusively
tell us what the meaning of a compound verb might be. My personal practice
when encountering an unfamiliar compound verb is to simply look it up.

Having said that, the distinction between preposition and prefix might
somewhat a game of semantics though I lean toward there being an actual
distinction.

Chuck Tripp
Kodiak, Alaska