[b-greek] Fwd: Re: Hebrew or Greek? 2

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Sat Apr 21 2001 - 10:06:37 EDT

I was asked to forward the following to the list for Al Lukaszweski:

Subject: Re: [b-greek] Re: Hebrew or Greek? 2
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 02:51:20 +0100
From: "A. Lukaszewski" <all1@st-and.ac.uk>
To: Dave Washburn <dwashbur@nyx.net>

Dave,

While I fully concur with you that the Gospels were not written
originally in Hebrew,
I would like to offer a citation that might clarify the lingua franca
issue in
first-century Palestine and to ask a question concerning your sources.

With respect to Hebrew as a living language in the first-century, you
might take a
look at Rendsburgs' "Diglossia in Ancient Hebrew" (ASOR, 1986?). He
demonstrates, I
think, quite well that Hebrew was a living language and not reserved
strictly for
religious purposes.

Further, what evidence do you have of "virtually everyone" being
bilingual? And to
what extent do you anticipate that they were bilingual?

Yours,
Al Lukaszewski
University of St Andrews
St Andrews, Scotland