[b-greek] Re: Petros rabbinic citations

From: Trevor Peterson (speederson@erols.com)
Date: Sat Apr 28 2001 - 10:25:21 EDT

Thanks for the citation. It is interesting, no doubt. I'm wondering
about one thing, though. If your reconstruction of 1st c. Koine
pronunciation is correct, do you think the yod in the first syllable of
the Mish. Heb. form of PETRA would indicate a later borrowing? I would
expect the yod to indicate an eta or iota in the 1st c., not an epsilon.
Am I mistaken on the long-vowel connection of the mater, the Greek
pronunciation, or the whole ball of wax?

Trevor Peterson
CUA/Semitics