[b-greek] Re: JOH 16:23

From: Mark Wilson (emory2oo2@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue May 01 2001 - 09:27:20 EDT

<x-flowed>
Jay:

>AMHN AMHN LEGW hUMIN AN TI AITHSHTE TON PATERA EN TW ONOMATI MOU DWSEI
>hUMIN. EWS ARTI OUK HTHSATE OUDEN EN TW ONOMATI MOU, AITEITE KAI LHMYESQE
>hINA hH XARA hUMWN Hi PEPLHRWMENH

I take the prep. phrase as a qualifier or limiter to "ask." The point is
that we can not ask for anything conceivable and God will give it. The point
is that God gives in response to requests that are "in accordance with my
[Christ's] legacy."

I saw this translation once at a web site and really liked it. The EN here
is "in accordance with." And the ONOMATI means "name, reputation." From
reputation, I think "legacy" is a word that makes the whole passage fit
together. Our prayers must parallel the prayers of Christ if God is to
answer them. Which means, unfortunately, that we can not pray to win the
Lottery :o )

Mark Wilson