[b-greek] Heb. 11:4b

From: Mark Wilson (emory2oo2@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue May 22 2001 - 15:36:40 EDT

<x-flowed>

Heb. 11:4b

DI' hHS EMARTURHQH EINAI DIKAIOS

"and through his faith, he was commended as righteous" (NET Bible)

The NET Bible translation just does not strike me as having captured the
sense of this verb.

I know Carl Conrad has on several occasions suggested that QH verbs
should often be considered intransitive or reflexive, in stead of passive,
and
I wonder if this is one of those times.

In the archives, he writes:

------
generally speaking the MAI/SAI/TAI-MHN/SO/TO forms as well as the -QH- forms
are essentially either intransitive or reflexive in sense--only the context
and sometimes only an instrumental or agent construction will clearly
indicate that a particular one of these forms is being used as a passive in
an individual case
-----

If I understand him right, can I take EMARTURHQH as intransitive/reflexive,
and if so, how
would I translate that?

"and through his faith, he gave witness (demonstrated) himself to be
righteous"

Is the more natural sense of EINAI "to be?" (as opposed to "as")

Any suggestions, comments?

Thank you,

Mark Wilson