[b-greek] But what about prepositions-Genitive

From: virgilsalvage1 (virgilsalvage1@msn.com)
Date: Fri May 25 2001 - 01:03:15 EDT

Randall,

   I would like to respond further to the other statements you made.
Firstly, I said...

  "The genitive
>case speaks of process. That's why, I believe the verb EGHGERTAI "raised"
is
>perfect indicative passive. This speaks of process.

  To which you responded...

  "Again, I would say that this is backwards. The perfect speaks of the
result
of
a process, not the process itself. And the genitive is irrelevant to the
issue.

Yes, of course it speaks of the end result. However it also speaks of the
time line of process that is the road to the destination...the result.
Robertson says...." This line of connection is just the contribution of the
perfect tense as distinct from aorist and present. As a matter of fact, in
the combination of punctilliar and durative in the perfect it begins with
the punctilliar and goes on with the durative thus ( O--------------- )."

  Then Randall, I would say the perfect indicative passive ends up looking
like this...(--------O) It has arrived at it's completion. But it cannot
arrive there without the journey of process....Or as Spiros Zodhiates
describes..." The perfect describes an action, or more correctly a process,
that took place in the past, the results of which have continued to the
present."

 Randall, you then said that the genitive was irrelevant to the issue. Since
it is giving specification to EGHGERTAI, I would argue instead...that they
are more than joined at the hip, hence, absolutely relevant. I would add
that since the genitive speaks of " kind of " GENOS and since no "kind of
anything" just occurs, that is; just happens out of nothing or no one. That
the genitive is also partnering with the perfect indicative passive in
indicating not only the result, yes. But also the process. I suggest again
that Luke knew and is telling us by the grammar he used that these " some "
that were thinking John the baptist EGHGERTAI EK NEKRWN, were doing it out
of some very careful consideration and had become completed convinced that
it was true.

  And finally when you said..."Actually, any who pondered the resurrection
issue would have done so
because of their worldview and expectations within their worldview. "

 I would ask....where in this Greek text from lexicon, grammar and syntax
can this be discovered ?

 By the way; something I just noticed. Note how in Luke 9:8, some were
thinking differently with regards to the matter of Elijah, and then some
were thinking in another regard concerning the old prophets. This of course
is not readily apparent from some English translations, but it is so
indicated in the Greek.

With acknowledgement for your concern and effort...

Virgil Newkirk
Salt Lake City, Utah