[b-greek] RE: REV 19:2c EK + genitive

From: c stirling bartholomew (cc.constantine@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sun May 27 2001 - 13:57:57 EDT

on 5/27/01 3:30 AM, Iver Larsen wrote:

>> REV 19:2c reads:
>>
>> KAI EXEDIKHSEN TO AIMA TWN DOULWN AUTOU
>> EK CEIROS AUTHS.
>>
>> The phrase EK CEIROS AUTHS presents us with a EK + genitive pattern that
>> appears to be semantically ambiguous. G.Beale (Rev, NIGTC page 928) points
>> out that the solution to this riddle should be sought in the OT, 2Kings 9:7
>> MT and Gen 4:11 LXX.
>
> Without commenting on the main point you had, I am curious as to what
> ambiguity you are referring to.

Iver,

I am referring to the semantic function of EK CEIROS AUTHS. It can be read
as SOURCH which would might fit with the so called prototypical use of
 EK + genitive or it can be read as AGENCY which is not very common for
 EK + genitive.

There are several ways this semantic function could be understood.

1 - EK CEIROS AUTHS => SOURCE (only)
2 - EK CEIROS AUTHS => AGENCY (only)
3 - EK CEIROS AUTHS => AGENCY but some how derived from SOURCE
4 - EK is a semantically neutral, has only a grammatical structural function

The focus of my question is #3. The idea that EK + genitive has a "central"
(basic, prototypical) semantic function of SOURCE and that the AGENCY
function in EK CEIROS AUTHS (REV 19:2c) is in some manner derived from
SOURCE. If we reject #3 are we forced to accept #4?

It is the analytical move from the "central" to "derived" which causes
problems. The model of the semantic functional network which is made up of
hubs (central, basic, prototypical functions) and satellites surrounding
these hubs (derived functions) is in my mind the wrong model.

The model I use is a complex network, with many to many mapping and no hubs.
My apologies to list members who are not familiar with the basics of network
topology. It is hard to draw pictures in text only e-mail or I would do it.

This is once again a model type question which I am so fond of asking.

Clay

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point