[b-greek] Re: hA - Revelation 1:1

From: Bradley W. Ellison (ellisonb@zianet.com)
Date: Sun May 27 2001 - 15:19:49 EDT

> APOKALUYIS IHSOU CRISTOU hHN EDWKEN AUTWi hO QEOS DEIXAI
> TOIS DOULOIS AUTOU hA DEI GENESQAI EN TACEI...

> I understand that a relative pronoun generally agrees with
> its antecedent with respect to gender and number. Thus hA, being neuter
> plural, would therefore have a neuter plural antecedent. However, there
> is no neuter plural antecedent here to which hA can relate. What is the
> antecedent, and why?

> HH: I think the antecedent is an understood word like "things." The neuter
> pronoun can represent abstract ideas that have no direct antecedent in a
> single word. here the author wanted a plural idea. He wanted to refer to
> the various events prophesied, so he used the plural neuter to indicate
> these hitherto unmentioned things.

> Yours,
> Harold Holmyard
> Dallas, TX

Mr. Holmyard,

Thank you for your reply.

Your explanation makes sense to me. Dr. Zodhiates put it similarly when
he wrote about the plural relative pronoun not agreeing with its singular
antecedent in number when the antecedent includes the idea of plurality.

I was leaning toward APOKALUYIS as the antecedent of hA. This would be
more concept than grammar, I suppose, given the idea that APOKALUYIS as a
whole contains a number of hA DEI GENESQAI EN TACEI.

Do you see any grammatical connection between APOKALUYIS and hA, or is
that purely a logical connection?

Again, your explanation of the understood, though unwritten, "things"
makes sense. I only want to exhaust this other possibility of APOKALUYIS
and hA before I move on.

I welcome response from all readers.

Bradley W. Ellison
Holloman AFB, New Mexico