[b-greek] Re: KJV Mt. 2:4

From: Harry W. Jones (hjbluebird@aol.com)
Date: Mon Jun 11 2001 - 20:47:21 EDT

> At 22:57 11/06/01, Harry W. Jones wrote:
>
> >The answer is that the KJV
> >has mistranslated that Greek word, "EPUQAVETO". It should be translated
> >as, "inquired".
>
> I would question your use of " mistranslated" -- what is appropriate for
> a 21st. century understanding cannot automatically be applied to
> Elizabethan English, surely?.
>
> For example, I can remember the time when a U.K passport carried a request
> from Her Majesty that "the bearer be allowed, without let or hindrance "
> -- in 400 years, the meaning of " let " had changed completely from "
> prevent" to " allow " [ in fact, in tennis to this very day it retains the
> original meaning !! ]
>
> So Ted is quite right to suggest " or is this only a matter of changes in
> the English language over a span of 400 years? "
>
> In the New Shorter Oxford English Dictionary one definition of " demand " is:
> >> Ask, inquire, make inquiry of a person etc. _arch_. LME." >>
> Note that " inquiry of" and that it is listed as archaic.
>
> Indeed, the SOED gives an example for this very use from the AV
> >> AV Luke 3:14 And the soldiers likewise demanded of him, saying, And
> what shall we do? <<
>
> Although you wrote: " I notice the KJV has "demanded," " -- in fact, it has
> " demainded of them ", which is precisely the construction used in the
> Lukan example.
>
> P.S Just to correct a couple of typos: the form in Mt. 2:4 is EPUNQANETO
> and the lexical form is: PUNQANOMAI
>

> Maurice A. O'Sullivan [ Bray, Ireland ]
> mauros@iol.ie

Maurice,

I only looked in my Webster's dictionary. In my American Heritage
Dictionary it is listed as "Archaic". Therefore my post should be
modifed to state that it may have been translated correctly at that
time in the past but that it would not be a correct translation today.
In any case "demand" is not a correct translation of "PUNQANOMAI"
today.

Harry W. Jones
hjbluebird@aol.com