[b-greek] Re: John 4:17-18

From: c stirling bartholomew (cc.constantine@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Mon Jun 25 2001 - 23:38:07 EDT

on 6/25/01 6:43 PM, Wayne Leman wrote:

> even though languages like Hellenistic Greek lack syntactic
> constituent order (such as that which English has), there are still
> pragmatically predictable orders

Wayne,

Thanks for your two posts. They were worth reading.

If we shift our perspective from the "science" of discourse pragmatics (or
what ever you call it) to a completely different perspective, say literary
criticism or semiotics we could find a whole different set of reasons for
the position of ANDRA in John 4:17. The main point I was intending to make
is that your "rule" is perspectivally conditioned. If the perspective
changes then the rule goes out the window.

You can go on and on about "empirical science" but for those of us who are
post Kant and post Kuhn, the religion of scientism isn't as impressive as it
was to those who lived 100 year ago.

Thanks for the informative posts.

Clay

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point

"Keep the faith, Baby." Adam Clayton Powell