[b-greek] Luke 9:58

From: Rbsads@aol.com
Date: Mon Jul 02 2001 - 18:23:30 EDT

<x-html>
<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT SIZE=2>I do not post my Greek questions regularly because it seems that AOL cannot
<BR>support a plain text submission. And evidently HTML submissions print
<BR>duplicate transmissions for many people.
<BR>
<BR>I apologize for the inconvenience if anyone receives a duplicate transmission.
<BR>
<BR>My question.
<BR>
<BR>Luke 9:58 POU~ THN KATASKHNOSEIS KLINH
<BR>
<BR>This is translated in every translation I have read as an infinitive clause.
<BR>NRSV translates the verse as "but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay his head."
<BR>
<BR>The Greek seems to me to read more literally, and in my opinion better, with
<BR>the clause translated as a rhetorical, deliberative question.
<BR>
<BR>"The son of man does not have (a den like the foxes or a dwelling like the
<BR>birds).Where may he bow down the head?" (Where may he rest his head?)
<BR>
<BR>The rhetorical question with the subjunctive verb to me seems a more powerful
<BR>statement.
<BR>
<BR>My NA 26 text does not even allow that the verse might be read as a question,
<BR>but is not POU with a circumflex to be read as an interogative particle?
<BR>
<BR>Thanks
<BR>
<BR>Richard Smith
<BR>Chattanooga, TN &nbsp;</FONT>
---<BR>
B-Greek home page: http://metalab.unc.edu/bgreek>
You are currently subscribed to b-greek as: [
jwrobie@mindspring.com]<BR>