[b-greek] Re: Col 1:14

From: Kevin W. Woodruff (cierpke@prodigy.net)
Date: Fri Jul 27 2001 - 23:03:37 EDT

Mark:

It is my understanding that they merely refer to the same thing, not that
they are identical. Epexegetical implies that it further explains or gives
another description of the same thing. In other words they are loose
synonyms not strict synonyms.

Much like "Lord Jesus" both refer to the same person, but each describes
Him differently. In one sense "Lord" and "Jesus" are synonyms but in
another way they are not because they have different meanings.

Kevin

At 02:13 AM 7/28/01 +0000, Mark Wilson wrote:

>Kevin:
>
>Concerning this:
>
>In Col. 1:14 THN AFESIN is in apposition to THN APOLUTRWSIN.
>
>You replied to Clay:
>
>----
>Very simple answer.
>
>Yes, it is an accusative in epexegetical apposition to THN APOLUTRWSIN
>-----
>

>Would AFESIN and APOLUTRWSIN have to be synonyms in order
>for them to be in APPOSITION to each other?
>And if they were NOT synonyms, would these two accusatives then be
>considered PARALLEL, rather than in apposition?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Mark Wilson

leave-b-greek-327Q@franklin.oit.unc.edu

Kevin W. Woodruff, M.Div.