[b-greek] RE: Hendiadys

From: Mike Sangrey (msangrey@BlueFeltHat.org)
Date: Sat Jul 28 2001 - 12:01:14 EDT

"Alan B. Thomas" <a_b_thomas@yahoo.com> said:
> I do agree that the Greek KAI has multiple functions, but I would say
> that the English AND very often functions as does the Greek KAI.

Hendiadys, synonymous parallelism, and Sharp's rule all don't work
with English `and'. That is, for example, if you ask a person at
a local store how many things are referred to in Luke 2:27 (THi
SUNESEI KAI TAIS APOKRISESIN), translated of course, they will
tell you, "two."

Greek KAI, at least when wielded by the Semitic mind, works differently,
IMO. The way it works semantically enables the above things, like
hendiadys, to happen. This was Iver's point when he said: "The two
noun phrases may have significant semantic overlap."

Hope that's clear, and I'm willing to be corrected.
--
Mike Sangrey
msangrey@BlueFeltHat.org