[b-greek] Re: James 1:3

From: Matt Eby (ebymatt@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Sep 02 2001 - 18:36:18 EDT

Steven,

"TO DOKIMION hUMWN THS PISTEWS KATERGAZETAI hUPOMONHN"

ISTM there are conceivably at least four ways to render this:

1. "the proving of your faith/faithfulness effects perseverance."
Here PISTEWS is objective genitive, modifying DOKIMION, and hUMWN is
possessive, modifying PISTEWS.

2. "your proving of [your] faith/faithfulness effects perseverance."
This is the same as #1, except that hUMWN is subjective genitive,
modifying DOKIMION, and the article preceding PISTEWS is possessive.

3. "the proving of 'you of faith/faithfulness' effects perseverance."
Here hUMWN is objective genitive, modifying DOKIMION, and PISTEWS is
descriptive genitive, modifying hUMWN ("you [who are characterized by]
faith/faithfulness").

4. "the proving of 'you of the faith' effects perseverance." This is
the same as #3, except that PISTEWS is possessive genitive, modifying
hUMWN ("you [who belong to] the faith")--THS PISTEWS here referring to
the body of belief, i.e., the Christian faith.

I could be wrong, but I think Jim West was advocating #3. His
suggestion comes *not* from viewing PISTIS (on its own in some sort of
vocative fashion) to mean "faithful people," but from viewing PISTEWS
in the genitive phrase "hUMWN THS PISTEWS" as modifying hUMWN ('you of
faith'). This is not far from the meaning of the genitive PISTEWS
modifying OIKEIOUS in Gal. 6:10 (which the NIV renders "the family of
believers"--although this would perhaps better vindicate option #4 than
#3).

You, on the other hand, take the vice-versa ('the faith of you'). I
tend to think you're right. The same phrase exactly ("TO DOKIMION
hUMWN THS PISTEWS") also appears in 1 Peter 1:7, and it seems from
context that it is the "faith of you" that is being proven, not the
"you of faith." This seems to be further supported by the tendency of
some later scribes (in both James and 1 Peter) either to place hUMWN
after THS PISTEWS or to omit it entirely (see NA27, although the second
editor of Vaticanus in James inversely omits THS PISTEWS!). We must
concede, however, that Jim's suggestion would be a valid grammatical
(though IMO contextually less likely) option if he is arguing on the
above count.

My thoughts,

Matt Eby
Student