[b-greek] Re: Didache

From: Maurice A. O'Sullivan (mauros@iol.ie)
Date: Mon Nov 05 2001 - 06:57:36 EST

<x-flowed>
At 16:39 04/11/01, Keith Thompson wrote:

>So would the aorist middle imperative be DUNOU or something?

Keith:
The -OU ending is the _present_ active imperative, 2nd. sg. and the aorist
imperative 2nd. sg. for 2nd. ( a.k.a strong ) aorists
-AI is the regular aorist middle imperative ending-- for 1st aorists ( here
we are getting into tricky territory, so I'll leave you to explore the
minefield that is 1st aorists and 2nd. aorists <g> ).
Suffice to say that the 1st. aorist of DUNAMAI is EDUNHSAMHN, making the
imperative DUNHSAI

>The only lexicons I have are 'A Manual Greek Lexicon Of The New Testament'
>by Abbott-Smith, and 'Langenscheidt's Pocket Dictionary (Classical
>Greek)'. I've been out of work and broke for a long time but now I can
>afford to buy books again. Would BAGD (or BDAG) provide extra help in
>studying the New Testament as well as works outside it?

Oh, the primary use _IS_ for NT work --- most users would just cast an eye
over the bit referring to B and D and pass on.

BTW, there is an excellent on-line tool for analyzing any Greek form you
come across -- it is the Perseus site http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/

( it is mirrored at Oxford which should be a lot faster for you.)

When the main page comes up, click on top LH "Classics" and then change the
window for Table of Contents to " Perseus Tools and Info ".
Scroll down until you reach Morphological Analysis ( then go to Configure
Display and the Help files to get the most out of the site )

Enjoy!

Maurice A. O'Sullivan
[Bray, Ireland]
mauros@iol.ie

" With computers we can now misinterpret Scripture at speeds never before
possible"