[b-greek] Acts 13:32-33 the Prophet

From: Warren Fulton (warren@inlingua.at)
Date: Thu Nov 08 2001 - 05:50:53 EST

Iver larsen wrote:
>It seems to me that most translations have misunderstood the Greek text
>of Acts 13:32-33.

KAI hHMEIS hUMAS EUAGGELIZOMEQA THN PROS TOUS PATERAS EPAGGELIAN
GENOMENHN
hOTI TAUTHN hO QEOS EKPEPLHRWKEN TOIS TEKNOIS AUTWN hHMIN ANASTHSAS
IHSOUN

>The difficult phrase is hHMIN ANASTHSAS, and which other words hHMIN
>connects with.
>
>First, does "raise up" refer to raising from the dead or raising up in
>the sense of sending forth?
>
>It is interesting that we find the same phrase in all three major
>speeches to a Jewish audience in Acts. First in Peter's speech on
>Pentecost:
>
>Acts 3:23: PROFHTHN hUMIN ANASTHSEI KURIOS "The Lord will raise up for you
>a prophet"

This is actually from Peter's second homily. In his first homily, on
Penetcost, the whole middle section (2:22-2:36) is framed by:

   TOUTON ... ANESTHSEN (23-24) and
   TOUTON ... ANESTHSEN (32)

While the first TOUTON ... ANESTHSEN clearly refers to resurrection,
the second one (vs. 32) might, at a stretch, go as one of your cases
of "sent forth," except that it lacks the fronted hUMIN. It is
interesting that both assertions of raising up, though, are balanced
by accusations of killing:

   ANEILATE (23)
   ESTAURWSATE (36)

Thus, the first homily, also to a Jewish audience, seems to topple
your theory of "the prophet sent forth" as a recurrent motif in these
speeches.

Moving over to Paul's speech in Antioch of Pisidia, your translation
of hHMIN ANASTHSAS (13:33) is also favored by Vine, who states that
the verb is "not here of Resurrection, but with reference to the
Incarnation." Vine sees the EK NEKRWN in the next verse as stressing
ANESTHSEN "by way of contrast," meaning perhaps that the "send forth"
notion might be the first association conjured up by this verb in
connection with prophets. On the other hand, BAGD lists this verse
under the special sense of ANISTHMI as referring to the resurrection
of Jesus.

I think you are right that the fronted hUMIN is a stong echo of the
"send forth" theme, but I'm not so sure that the surrounding EK NEKRWN
qualifiers attached to EGEIRW and ANISTHMI in 30 and 34 are really
stressed, as Vine maintains, with the effect of setting ANASTHSAS in
33 apart and lending it another sense altogether. I sympathize though
with you translators when you hear these strong echoes in the
background of the original and can only choose a single rendering
devoid of any resonances.

Warren Fulton
Inlingua School of Languages
Vienna, Austria