[b-greek] SU as part of a vocative?

From: Ulrik Petersen (ulrikp@get2net.dk)
Date: Tue Nov 27 2001 - 14:23:13 EST

<x-flowed>
Dear list,

I have a query regarding whether a SU can be part of a vocative
phrase. Consider 1 Corinthians 15:36:

AFRWN SU hO SPEIREIS, OU ZW|OPOIEITAI EAN MH APOQANH|.

My question is: Could SU be a part of a "vocative phrase", "AFRWN SU", or
would this not be a possibility? The way I see it, there are two options:

1) Either SU is part of a vocative phrase, "AFRWN SU", or
2) SU is the overt subject of the "relative clause" SU hO SPEIREIS.

However, I am studying a linguistic theory at the moment, Role and
Reference Grammar. This theory seems to insist that SU be read as part of
a vocative phrase, "AFRWN SU", rather than being the subject of the
relative clause. But what do B-Greekers say? Is the vocative reading a
possibility? Which would be the more natural reading? Are there any other
readings?

I would be glad to explain to the list why the theory insists on the
vocative analysis, so please ask if you are interested.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Ulrik Petersen

PS: Role and Reference Grammar is expounded in

Van Valin, Robert D., Jr and Randy J. LaPolla, 1997, "Syntax: Structure,
Meaning, and Function", Cambridge University Press.