[b-greek] Beware blank e-mails

From: Maurice A. O'Sullivan (mauros@iol.ie)
Date: Thu Nov 29 2001 - 11:09:48 EST

<x-flowed>
I have just received a blank e-mail, with the subject line:
Re: [b-greek] Re: PERIERGA in Acts 19:19
on which the sender's name is given as:
"Bill Klein" <_williamgklein@earthlink.net>

Even before my anti-virus identified the presence of the Badtrans worm in
this message, the combination of:
a blank message
and the underscore before the sender's ( correct ) e-mail address
tipped me off as to the dangerous nature of this virus/worm, which has just
been uprated by the various anti-virus program makers from "moderate" to "
high-risk".

When I say " sender ", I of course am not implying that Bill is the
malicious originator, just that his address book, probably on an un-patched
version of Microsoft Outlook, is serving as the vehicle for passing on (
unknown to him ) the worm which came with the virus. In his case, it comes
as: PICS.DOC.SCR

The various anti-virus web-sites are carrying full details of this
"internet worm", and instructions on how to deal with it; I can recommend:
http://vil.mcafee.com/dispVirus.asp?virus_k=99069&

Regards,
Maurice