[b-greek] Re: DEIGMA in Jude 7: Nominative or Accusative?

From: Randy Leedy (Rleedy@bju.edu)
Date: Wed Dec 05 2001 - 15:54:17 EST

>>>Carl Conrad wrote:

<snip>

And here I will offer what can only be viewed as an outrageous
proposal:
that PROKEINTAI be understood to have a sort of middle force:
"display
themselves as an example" = "constitute an outstanding example as
they
undergo the punishment of everlasting fire"--in which case of
course,
DEIGMA will be accusative after all.
<<<

Carl, I like your idea that these cities "constitute an outstanding
example"; it doesn't strike me as so outrageous. Perhaps I'm missing
something. But it still looks to me as though it would be nominative
unless we feel the need to supply EAUTAS (or EAUTOUS, depending on
whether the concord is to be grammatical or physical). At first blush
I don't see a need for that ellipsis.

So my two questions are, Where are you seeing outrage? (in the
meaning you're suggesting for the verb or in something grammatical?)
and What need for the accusative are you seeing?

Randy Leedy
Bob Jones University
Greenville, SC
RLeedy@bju.edu