[b-greek] OUKETI in Acts 20:25

From: Frazier Conley (fconley@airmail.net)
Date: Mon Dec 10 2001 - 10:59:35 EST

<x-html>
<HTML><HEAD>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><STRONG><FONT face=Arial><FONT size=4>
<P>I would like to raise a question about the rendering of OUKETI in passages
such as Acts 20:25 KAI NUN IDOU EGW OIDA hOTI OUKETI OPSESTHE TO PROSWPON MOU
hUMEIS PANTES EN OIS DIHLQON KHRUSSWN THN BASILEIAN.</P>
<P>Most, but not all,&nbsp;recent translations have gone to something like
"never again." </P>
<P>My survey of the lexicons, classical and NT, indicates that the "never again"
version of OUKETI is&nbsp;unsupported. It has its only advocate in the Arndt,
Gingrich, etc. editions. </P>
<P>I did not check out all the BDAG examples, but what I looked at were
unconvincing. In fact, I am suspicious of a theological motive behind the
definition, especially in reference to Acts 20:25.</P>
<P>As I have looked at other examples of OUKETI it appeared to me to indicate
the cessation of a prior state, without any necessary implication about how long
that cessation would exist, and that "never again" is certainly too strong. Thus
"no longer" or "no more" remain much better renderings. </P>
<P>Any input?</P>
<P><FONT size=3>Frazier Conley</FONT></P>
<P><FONT size=3>Whitewright,
Texas</FONT></P></FONT></FONT></STRONG></DIV>
---<BR>
B-Greek home page: http://metalab.unc.edu/bgreek>
You are currently subscribed to b-greek as: [
jwrobie@mindspring.com]<BR>