[b-greek] Re: Text and Lexicon

From: Roe (d.roe@t-online.de)
Date: Wed Dec 12 2001 - 13:20:10 EST

Scott Hughey schrieb:

> Hello, I am a new student to Greek. I am fairly secure with my alphabet...
> and that's about it right now. I am looking for a good lexicon, and Greek
> Testament.

Hi Scott,

the Nestle/Aland (latest is 27th ed.) "Novum Testamentum Graece" and the
United Bible Societies' (4th ed.) "Greek New Testament" both have the same
Greek text*. The N/A shows more variants (3-4 times as many I'd guess),
whereas the UBS lists more supporting manuscripts for each of the fewer
variants it does show. The Apparatus of the UBS is easier to read, being
not so extremely abbreviated as the N/A, but the N/A really gives you more
information. One eventual advantage to the UBS, you can order a copy with
the concise dictionary (glosses) in the back of the book, if you will be
using it away from your desk and don't want to take a lexicon along.

Metzger's "Textual Commentary on the Greek NT" discusses each of the
variants in the UBS apparatus, giving additional background to the
problems and what led the editors to make the decision they did. Of
course, you could use it with the N/A also, since they have the same
text*.

* I say they have the same text. I've found one difference: my N/A-27
gives a feminine accent for IOUNIAN in Ro. 16:7, and my UBS-3 gives a
masculine accent...

Standard lexicon is Danker's revision of the English translation of
Bauer's lexicon. It's called "A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament
and Other Early Christian Literature." To supplement that, you might be
interested Moulton & Milligan's "Vocabulary of the Greek Testament," which
illustrates GNT words used in secular material contemporary to the NT and
early church. And of course the Liddell-Scott-Jones "Greek-English
Lexicon," which shows classical usage, as well as often mentions LXX and
NT occurence. You can use it online at Tufts University's Perseus site:

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/resolveform

Additional discussion on your question can be found in B-Greek's online
archive.

You can buy all the above except L-S-J (i.e., N/A, UBS, Metzger,
Danker/Bauer-BDAG, Moulton & Milligan) from Christian Book Distributors by
mailing them a check. See their site for details...

http://www.christianbook.com/

Note: list price for BDAG is not $125 as per CBD, but "only" $85, their
selling price -- you can buy it from Barnes and Noble for $68 online (with
credit card...) -- local bricks and mortar store may charge list price.

Alternatively, you can probably order any of these at most local
bookstores.

David

D.W. Roe
Rheinland-Pfalz, Germany