[b-greek] Re: Dating: PGM; (EN)DUNAMOW

From: Thomas J. Kraus (tj.kraus@gmx.de)
Date: Sun Dec 23 2001 - 14:25:34 EST

On 22.12.2001 21:16 Uhr "jkdru" at <jkdru@Princeton.EDU> wrote:

> Does anyone know about the dating of the Papyri Graecae Magicae?
>
> I'm looking at dictionary entries (BDAG et al.) trying to trace the
> history of the verb(s) DUNAMOW and ENDUNAMOW. My original question was
> whether they were NT/Christian coinages (pretty convinced now they're
> not, due to in part to looking at Deissman after his being mentioned
> here recently :) but I still want to learn how to evaluate attestation
> data.
>
> If anyone has advice/insight on these particular verbs, I'd also be
> happy to hear :) (Am already looking at standard references like TDNT
> and LSJ, plus Lampe, M-M; HR and Lust on LXX.)
>
> His w/thanks,
> Josephine Dru
> --

Dear Josephine,

first of all merry Christmas to you and all the other fellow b-Greekers out
there.

You mention the Papyri Graecae Magicae (Preisendanz). The three volumes are
dated 1928, 1931, and 1941. If you give me the precise number of the items
you want to know more about, especially their dates, please, let me know
off-list. I have the editions right next to me on my desk.
Pleae, note that some items were reedited (some in Supplementum Magicum.
Vol. I-II [Suppl. Mag.]. Ed. by Robert W. Daniel and Franco Maltormini.
Papyrologica Coloniensia XVI. Opladen 1990-92).
Even if the papyrus you think of in PGM is late date (for intance, the
famous Great Papyrus from Paris, Bibl.Nat.suppl.gr. 574, PGM I 4; probably
fourth century) many of them contain allusions, names, phrases related with
Jewish, Christian, and Egyptian background, a kind of syncretism.

Additionally to the reference you quotes you may refer to:

P. Chantraine, Dictionnaire étymologique de la langue grecque. Histoire des
mots. 4 vols., Paris 1968-80. (completed by G. Jucquois/B. Devlamminck,
Compléments aux Dictionnaire Étymologiques du Grec Ancien. Tome 1, Louvain
1977; G.C. Papanastassiou, Complément au Dictionnaire Étymologique du Grec
Ancien de Pierre Chantraine, Théssalonigue 1994)

H. Frisk, Griechisches etymologisches Woerterbuch. 3 vols. Heidelberg
1960-72.

F. Preisigke/E. Kiessling (eds.), Woerterbuch der griechischen
Papyrusurkunden mit Einschluss der griechischen Inschriften, Aufschriften,
Ostraka, Mumienschilder usw. aus Aegypten. Vol. I-IV und Supplement I-III.
Berlin u.a. 1925-2000.

C. Spicq, Notes de Lexicographie néo-testamentaire. Tome I-II. Supplément
(OBO 22,1-3), Goettingen 1972-82.

R. Renehan, Greek Lexicographical Notes. A Critical Supplement to the
Greek-English Lexicon of Liddell-Scott-Jones. Vols. I-II (Hyp. 45 + 75),
Goettingen 1975 und 1982.

Just to be sure you might also check:
E.A. Sophocles, Greek Lexicon of the Roman and Byzantine Periods,
Cambridge/Leipzig 1914.
J.F. Schleusner, Novus thesaurus philologico-criticus: sive, lexicon in LXX.
Et reliquos interpretes graecos, ac scriptores apocryphos Veteris Testameni,
Glasgow 1822.

Furthermore, the standard Greek grammars might be of help. Most of them have
detailed indices (see Schwyzer, Brugmann, Blass, Abel, Gignac, Mayser,
Kuehner, Moulton, Robertson, Winer, and others I cannot think of at the
moment without looking at my bibliographical entries).

btw ... have a look at the indices in the New Documents Illustrating Early
Christianity volumes.

Hope this helps ...

Thomas J. Kraus

--