[b-greek] Re: 1 Thess 5:10

From: Polycarp66@aol.com
Date: Tue Jan 29 2002 - 16:37:27 EST

<x-html>
<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT SIZE=2>In a message dated 1/29/2002 3:37:48 PM Eastern Standard Time, iver_larsen@sil.org writes:
<BR>
<BR><BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">My question is about the sense of the two verbs. Let me suggest
<BR>alternatives:
<BR>Does GRHGOREW here mean
<BR>1) be literally awake
<BR>2) be watchful, alert, spiritually awake
<BR>3) be physically alive
<BR>
<BR>Does KAQEUDW here mean
<BR>1) be literally asleep
<BR>2) be dull, spiritually asleep
<BR>3) be physically dead
<BR></BLOCKQUOTE>
<BR>
<BR> AND THE ANSWER IS (drumroll, please) #3.
<BR>
<BR>I think I understand why you have some reservations. &nbsp;In v. 6 the pair KAQEUD*/GRHGOR* are used to indicate those whom he classifies as children of darkness/children of light. &nbsp;He appears to have changed the significance of the words here. &nbsp;Putting aside any theological issue, it would be inconceiveable to speak of being "children of light" and therefore "awake" (by which I would understand "spiritually alive") and yet be able to speak of the possibility of being either awake or asleep.
<BR>
<BR>gfsomsel</FONT>
---<BR>
B-Greek home page: http://metalab.unc.edu/bgreek>
You are currently subscribed to b-greek as: [
jwrobie@mindspring.com]<BR>