[b-greek] Re: DOMATA in Mal 1:3

From: Polycarp66@aol.com
Date: Tue Jan 29 2002 - 20:25:31 EST

In a message dated 1/29/2002 7:45:50 AM Eastern Standard Time,
Andrew.Wergeland@mf.no writes:

>As far as I can tell, the word DOMATA (in Mal 1:3) is accusative plural of
>the neuter noun DOMA and means "gifts". Brenton (according to BibleWorks)
>translates it as "dwellings" and is supported in this by a commentary on
>Malachi by D. L. Petersen. I see the similarity between the words DOMA and
>DOMOS, but is it possible to understand DOMATA as a form of DOMOS?

Did you ever read a book and encounter the term "indexes"? The plural of
"index" is "indices." Of course it's possible. Did you ever notice the
variant forms that appear for various words in a lexicon? Here is an entry
from the "middle Liddell"

A-BEBAIOS, ON, uncertain, unsteady; TO ABEBAION = ABEBAIOTHS, Luc.

Apparently Lucian used a different form.

Even books which are edited and proofread have errors. Why shouldn't Greek
handwriten documents? Wat does ya thimk - that they ain't gonna make no errs?

gfsomsel