[b-greek] Re: Feminine Images of God

From: Jeffrey B. Gibson (jgibson000@attbi.com)
Date: Thu Jan 31 2002 - 18:54:52 EST

SPAWN OF A JEWISH CARPENTER: CINDY SMITH wrote:

> In the February 2002 issue of the Mensa Bulletin Rebecca James Hecking
> says the New Testament contains several feminine images of God
> including: "Mother Hen, Bakerwoman, and the woman searching for a
> lost coin." Unfortunately, there are no chapter and verse citations.
> Does the original Greek support the idea that these are indeed
> feminine images of God?

At the risk of veering straight into off topic territory (since these questions are
not strictly related to what can be made of the Greek text of the NT), I'll answer by
saying that it appears that It seems to me that RJH has not done her homework. There
is a mother hen image in Luke, but it is something that Jesus applies to **himself**
as an analogy illustrating his concern for Jerusalem. And there is an image of a
woman seeking for a lost coin, but it is hardly applied to God. Rather -- and I'm
working from memory here -- it is an image Jesus uses to describe how diligently a
human being should pursue the BASILEIA TOU QEOU. Now the baker woman one has me
stumped.

If you are intent to find the God of Israel cast in the NT in a feminine light, you
would be far better off pursuing Marcus Borg's exploration that images of wombishness
stand behind Jesus teachings of the mercifulness and compassion of God.

Yours,

Jeffrey Gibson

--
Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)