[b-greek] Re: To Shame or not To Shame

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Sun Feb 17 2002 - 09:01:00 EST

At 3:52 PM -0500 2/16/02, SDBIBLESTUDY@aol.com wrote:
>Can anyone explain how this might be translated so that it would not
>appear as a contradiction? Or is it a contradiction?
>
>1 Corinthians 4:14 I am not writing this to shame you, but to warn you, as
>my dear children.
>
>1 Corinthians 6:5 I say this to shame you. Is it possible that there is
>nobody among you wise enough to judge a dispute between believers?

This question does not really appear to be a B-Greek question but a
question of how to understand what Paul is saying in English (in the KJV)
in 1 Cor. This is not the place for general discussion of Pauline
correspondence or theology; therefore just a brief note here: in a letter
in which Paul frequently confronts a congregation that has disappointed him
in many different ways, he gets at the troublesome issues in different ways
according to what he thinks may be most effective rhetorically.There is no
contradiction as such between 1 Cor 4:14

OUK ENTREPWN hUMAS GRAFW TAUTA ALL' hWS TEKNA MOU AGAPHTA NOUQETW[N] --
where he pleads with the Corinthians to accept his advice about his own
relationship to them as children accept the advice of a loving father

and 6:5

PROS ENTROPHN hUMIN LEGW. hOUTWS OUK ENI EN hUMIN OUDEIS SOFOS, hOS
DUNHSETAI DIAKRINAI ANA MESON TOU ADELFOU AUTOU? -- where he does attempt
to embarrass the Corinthians regarding their resorting to a Gentile law
court to deal with a dispute between members of the congregation.

Thus the 'TAUTA' in his GRAFW TAUTA in 1 Cor 4:14 has a different
antecedent/area of concern than the focus when he writes PROS ENTROPHN
hUMIN LEGW in 1 Cor 6:5.

I don't think the problem here is so much a matter of understanding the
Greek text as of understanding the way Pauline discourse works in this
letter to a congregation that is considerably alienated from him and
difficult to address in a manner that will be acceptable and efficacious.
But this is not really the forum for a discussion of how Pauline discourse
works.
--

Carl W. Conrad