[b-greek] Re: PRWTON in Rom 1.16

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Tue Feb 19 2002 - 08:46:36 EST

I'm not going to jump back into the discussion of this question at large (I
still hold with what I wrote about it yesterday morning, and to me it seems
that the matter is being made far more complicated than it actually is--but
that's just my view); I want to comment on only one point:

At 1:37 PM -0500 2/18/02, Moon-Ryul Jung wrote:
>[Carl]
>> I think if DUNAMAI is changed back to DUNAMIS in the transcription to match
>> the text of Paul, the problem ought to resolve itself: DUNAMIS GAR QEOU
>> ESTIN EIS SWTHRIAN PANTI TWi PISTEUONTI, IOUDAIWi TE PRWTWN KAI hELLHNI.
>> I've always understood DUNAMIS QEOU as the predicate noun for the
>> understood carried-forward subject TO EUAGGELION: "It (the gospel) is God's
>> power/possibility for salvation (open) to everyone who believes, both to
>> Jewish (believing one) in the first place and no less to Greek (believing
>> one)." PRWTON is adverbial to the dative IOUDAIWi. If there's an ellipsis
>> at all, it's simply the want of an explicit subject because TO EUAGGELION
>> is understood as carried forward from the preceding sentence. If there's
>> anything at all a bit extraordinary here, perhaps it is the qualification
>> of IOUDAIWi by the adverb PRWTON within a phrase so tightly linking
>> IOUDAIWi and hELLHNI.
>
>How can an adverb modify a noun? Adverbials modify verbs or adjectives,
>but not nouns, as far as I know.

Actually, I think I would characterize IOUDAIWi and hELLHNI as adjectival
qualifiers of the substantive TWi PISTEUONTI, but also, it's not so simply
a matter of an adverb modifying a noun but rather of an adverb qualifying
an expression being used adverbially, as IOUDAIWi certainly is being used
here. "The gospel is the dynamic instrument whereby God works salvation for
all believers--JEWISH ones in the first place, but no less GREEK ones."
--

Carl W. Conrad