[b-greek] Re: DIAPAZEI

From: Mark DelCogliano (cassian@dellepro.com)
Date: Sun Feb 24 2002 - 22:11:54 EST

> >Does anyone know what DIAPAZW might mean? I've had no luck finding the
word
> >in the standard dictionaries, though I do not have Lampe on hand. Here is
> >the context from a fourth-century patristic text on spiritual warfare:
>
> >hOSTIS [sc.hO DAIMWN] MALISTA TAIS TOIAUTAIS EFALLETAI >KATASTASESI KAI
DIKHN
> >KUNOS KAQAPER VEBRON THN YUCHN DIAPAZEI.
>
> >"This demon springs upon states [of mind/soul] such as these in
particular,
> >and, like a dog, ??? the soul as if it were a young deer."
> ______________________
>
> I tried checking this with Perseus' Morphological Analysis tool. It came
up
> with AZW and 2 preverbs - DIA and APO. Perseus was unable to find any
> instance of this word. There were 2 roots for AZW. Neither seemed
> particularly promising.
>
> I had a thought concerning this. Is it just possible that you have
omitted a
> letter? Could the word not be DIAPAZEI but DIARPAZEI? This would make
> perfectly good sense. Your passage would then read
>
> "This demon springs upon states [of mind/soul] such as these in
particular,
> and, like a dog, TEARS IN PIECES the soul as if it were a young deer."

I too used Perseus' Morphological tool and found the same unpromising
results.
You could very well be right about the missing Rho. It could be that the
text I have contains a misprint. It wouldn't be the first I've found in it,
unfortunately.

Thanks so much, gfsomsel. I think you've solved my dilemma.

Mark DelCogliano