[b-greek] Re: Question on LXX Proverbs 3:6

From: Polycarp66@aol.com
Date: Tue Feb 26 2002 - 14:07:56 EST

In a message dated 2/26/2002 7:36:25 AM Eastern Standard Time,
bwmeyers@earthlink.net writes:

>My copy of the Septuagint renders Proverbs 3:6 as

>EN PASAIS hODOIS SOU GNWRIZE AUTHN hINA ORQOTOMHi
>TAS hODOUS SOU hO DE POUS SOU OU MH PROSKOPTHi

>"In all thy ways acquaint thyself with her, that she may rightly
>direct thy paths."

>But the only possible antecedent for "her" that I can see is GOD, in
>vs. 5. It seems most unusual that God would be referred to in the
>feminine (maybe Isa. 31:5 is an example?).

>Is this some corruption, or is there some other explanation? Could it
>be referring to WISDOM, as in Prov. 8? How would one know, from the
>immediate context?

In view of the prominence of "wisdom" in the book of Proverbs, I wonder if
perhaps it is not referring ALL THE WAY BACK to SOFIAS in 2.1,2

1. hUIE, EAN DECAMENOS hRHSIN EMHS ENTOLHS KRUYHiS PARA SEAUTWi, 2.
hUPAKOUSETAI SOFIAS TO OUS SOU KAI PARABALEIS KARDIAN SOU EIS SUNESIN,
PARABALEIS DE AUTHN EPI NOUQETHSIN TWi hUIWi SOU.

gfsomsel