[b-greek] Re: MORFH

From: Maurice A. O'Sullivan (mauros@iol.ie)
Date: Tue Feb 26 2002 - 19:51:32 EST

<x-flowed>
At 23:55 26/02/02, Jonathan Burke wrote:

>I have had it represented to me that the Greek word MORFH includes
>within its semantic range the meaning of 'essential nature'.
>
>I cannot find this meaning referred to in LSJ 9, nor can I find
>any examples of it in Greek literature.

There are three occurrences of MORFH in the New Testament:
Mk. 16:12
Phil 2:6,7

The Louw-Nida lexicon assigns the Markan example to the domain 58.15 [
defined as
>> a visual form of something - `visual form, appearance.' `he appeared
in a different form' Mk 16.12.<<< ]

whereas the examples from Phil. are assigned to 58.22
>>> the nature or character of something, with emphasis upon both the
internal and external form - `nature, character.<<

and, given the primary purpose of this lexicon as an aid to translators, adds:
>>> In view of the lack of a closely corresponding lexical item such as
`nature,' it may be necessary to restructure the form of Php 2.7 as `he
became truly a servant.' <<<

That seems to match fairly closely what " has been represented to me",
don't you think?

Maurice A. O'Sullivan
[Bray, Ireland]

"Apply yourself wholly to the text; apply the text wholly to yourself."
- Johann Albrecht Bengel