[b-greek] Re: EIS in Acts 2:39

From: Kevin Cauley (cauley@airmail.net)
Date: Tue Mar 05 2002 - 22:47:40 EST

Yes, that makes sense to me like that too, but why (and here I go trying to
figure out the author's meaning again) would he use the dative in the
earlier part of the sentence (hUMIN . . . TOIS TEKNOIS) and then throw that
preposition in there? What kind of flavor of meaning was he trying to get
across?

For example, sometimes EIS means "into" and sometimes it means "unto." The
translators could have translated Acts 2:38 "into" and been consistent with
the meaning of the word, but to translate the word "into" in verse 39
doesn't seem to work, but "unto" does. It is almost like motion toward, but
not yet completed.

"Curiouser and curiouser."

Kevin Cauley