[b-greek] Re: Ephesians 4:26

From: Manolis Nikolaou (aei_didaskomenos@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Mar 26 2002 - 08:58:59 EST

> ORGIZESQE KAI MH hAMARTANETE -- Ephesians 4:26
>
> I have two questions on this phrase, with the second one being the
> primary one. The answer to the seond question, however, hinges on
> a person's answer to the first.
>
> (1) Should ORGIZESQE be taken as a command -- "Be angry!" or
> should it be taken as a permissive imperative? It seems to me that
> grammatically it can be taken either way and that one's theology will
> determine the answer given.
>
> (2) If ORGIZESQE is taken as a command, is the following a
> grammatically possible interpretation: "Be angry! Stop this
> continuing sin (of not being angry)!"? Does the Greek grammar and
> context allow (or support?) this interpretation?

> Elijah Yoder
> Harrisonville, PA
> elijahyoder@characterlink.net

"ORGIZESQE KAI MH AMARTANETE. O hHLIOS MH EPIDUETW EPI TWi PARORGISMWi
hUMWN, MHDE DIDETE TOPON TWi DIABOLWi."

Apparently, "ORGIZESQE" couldn't be taken as a command in this case. I
think a more normal structure in Greek would be "ORGIZOMENOI MH
AMARTANETE": "Even when (occasionally) you get angry, try not to sin.".

However, we must have in mind that participial structures have begun to be
replaced by more analytical ones, in Paul's times.

Manolis Nikolaou
Greece