[b-greek] STOP! Re: 1 Cor 3:15-17: Assurance of salvation or warning

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 29 2002 - 07:01:12 EST

At 9:18 PM -0500 3/28/02, Polycarp66@aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 3/28/2002 8:13:15 PM Eastern Standard Time,
>moon@sogang.ac.kr writes:
>
>"As through fire" was an idomatic way of saying "just barely",
>"by the skin of one's teeth". Paul is not assuring the one who built
>poorly (i.e, though you will lose your reward you will still be saved),
>but
>warning - though you may attain salvation, it will be by the skin of your
>teeth as it were.
>__________________________________
>
>Moon,
>
>You certainly know how to be provocative by your choice of subject title. As
>an old Calvinist, I could say something; however, I will 'bite my tongue' and
>avoid the theological comments which are not appropriate for this forum.

Let's call a halt to this right now. While it may seem reasonable to ask
about academic credentials of a book's author, we ought to steer clear of
characterizing theological or doctrinal positions taken by an authorPLEASE
let's avoid this and any and all theological discussion. Let me cite #5 of
the FAQ:

"5. How can we keep discussion informative and constructive?

Comments should focus upon issues directly related to Biblical Greek or a
biblical Greek text. If, in the judgment of list-moderators, discussion is
moving beyond parameters deemed appropriate for the list, a thread may be
closed;those who continue to post on a closed thread may lose list
privileges.

Those who participate in the conference represent a wide range of
theological and denominational perspectives, perhaps even including some
whose interests are purely academic. Deep religious convictions surely
characterize many, perhaps most, of the list-participants, and some of
these convictions bear directly upon how the Biblical text is to be
understood. At the core of our discussion, however, is not what our
convictions are but what the Greek text may legitimately be understood to
mean. If discussion of this nature is to succeed, proper respect and
courtesy to other list members is important. While scholarly debate,
including disagreement, is encouraged as a goal of this conference, attacks
upon the character, intelligence, or faith of those participating are not
acceptable. Criticism must focus upon the arguments of others; it may not
be directed to the individual.

B-Greek must not be used either to attack or to defend any particular
doctrine deemed "orthodox" by one or another individual or group; this is
not the forum for apologetic controversy.

Those who violate these policies will be contacted politely by the B-Greek
staff and requested to conform to these guidelines. Those who continue to
violate the policies will no longer be welcome in the conference.

--

Carl W. Conrad
Co-Chair, B-Greek List