[b-greek] RE: Thessalonikeis' Infinitive!

From: Manolis Nikolaou (aei_didaskomenos@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Apr 20 2002 - 05:14:53 EDT

> Rather than interpreting GRAFEIN as an "passive active", I'd probably
> prefer to assume an implied TINA, i.e.,
>
> PERI DE THS FILADELFIAS OU CREIAN ECETE [TINA] GRAFEIN hUMIN
>
> "But concerning brotherly love, you have no need for [anyone] to write
> you . . . "
>
> Paul can be elliptical as well as expansive when he wants to be.
>
> Ken Smith

I agree: an implied TINOS (not TINA) or EMOU would be the best way to
understand the passage:

OU CREIAN ECETE EMOU GRAFEIN UMIN.

Although GRAFESQAI does occur in 5:1 (OU CREIAN ECETE UMIN GRAFESQAI), the
use of passive infinitive seems to have been kind of problematic in such
cases:

John 16:30: OU CREIAN ECEIS INA TIS SE ERWTA
1 John 2:27: OU CREIAN ECETE INA TIS DIDASKEI UMAS

Regards,
Manolis Nikolaou
Greece