[b-greek] Re: Rev. 3:3a

From: Steven Lo Vullo (slovullo@mac.com)
Date: Mon Apr 01 2002 - 00:08:23 EST

on 3/31/02 8:30 PM, Mark Wilson at emory2oo2@hotmail.com wrote:

> Rev. 3:2
> GINOU GRHGORWN KAI STHRISON TA LOIPA hA MELLEI APOQANEIN
> OU GAR EURHKA SOU TA ERGA PEPLHRWMENA ENWPION TOU QEOU
>
> Rev. 3:3
> MNHMONEUE OUN PWS EILHFAS KAI HKOUSAS KAI THREI KAI METANOHSON
>

> How should we understand the Perfect EILHFAS followed by
> the Aorist HKOUSAS ?
>
> The sequence of these 2 verbs seems odd to me.

In this context, in light of MNHMONEUE (which calls for reflection on past
actions) I think EILHFAS is used in an extensive sense, stressing the
completed action, and HKOUSA has a constative sense, placing the stress on
the FACT of occurrence. Since both are objects of MNHMONEUE (which, as I
have stated, calls for reflection on past actions) and both modified by the
interrogative adverb PWS (which seems to call for reflection on the manner
of those actions), it is hard (IMO) to ascribe the idea of "ongoing result"
to EILHFAS in this case, especially in light of the fact that the people
addressed appear to have "lost" some of what they had received, at least
practically speaking (cf. v. 2). So I think EILHFAS is here constrained by
the semantical situation. I'm not sure there is an abundance of difference
in this case between the perfect and aorist.

> Is PWS the Direct Object of each of the following four verbs?

No, PWS, an interrogative adverb, modifies EILHFAS and HKOUSAS. EILHFAS KAI
HKOUSAS is the compound object of MNHMONEUE. As a verb of perception,
MNHMONEUE in this case has an indirect question as its object, as is clear
from the interrogative adverb PWS. The question the addressees are to ask is
PWS EILHFA KAI HKOUSA? ("How did I receive and hear?"). THREI KAI METANOHSON
are imperatives, indicating the course of action to be followed upon
reflection of how they had received and heard.

Steven Lo Vullo
Madison, WI
slovullo@mac.com