[b-greek] Re: 1 Cor 3:15 (The force of the future indicative)

From: Moon-Ryul Jung (moon@sogang.ac.kr)
Date: Mon Apr 01 2002 - 02:40:49 EST

Excellent!
My comments below.

> Greetings again Moon...
>
> > The future statement AUTOS DE SWQHSETAI is qualified
> > by hOUTWS DE hWS DIA PUROS.
> >
> > If we understand DIA PUROS to mean "barely", does it make
> > the future statement a possibility which may not be realized
> > or does not affect the validity of the future statement?
> >
> > It seems to have to do with the force of the future statement.
> > My question seems to come down to:
> > Can we understand SWQHSETAI to mean WOULD BE SAVED?
>
> Interestingly, John Crysostom (_hom. 9 in 1 Cor._) asserted this verse
> to mean that the man will be preserved in the fire of hell, so that he
> will not experience annihilation! I would actually agree with your
> conclusion concerning the meaning of this verse, albeit a bit
> differently. I don't think the solution lies in the force of the
> future indicative alone, but rather in the force of the future
> indicative *when qualified by an adverb*. Take Jesus' statement in
> Matthew 19:23:
>
> AMHN LEGW hUMIN hOTI PLOUSIOS DUSKOLWS EISELEUSETAI EIS THN BASILEIAN
> TWN OURANWN ("Truly I say to you that a rich [man] will enter into the
> kingdom of heaven with difficulty [lit. as an adverb, 'hardly'--or even
> 'difficultly']").
>
> Jesus here is *not* asserting that a rich man *will* in fact enter the
> kingdom of heaven. He is rather asserting the *manner* in which such a
> man will--*if* indeed he does: *with difficulty*. (Jesus goes on to
> pronounce this to be impossible with men in fact [v. 26])! Thus the
> adverb DUSKOLWS is a very powerful qualifier to the future EISELEUSETAI
> in this passage--it functions practically as a conditional clause.
>
> Now look again at 1 Cor 3:15:
>
> AUTOS DE SWQHSETAI hOUTWS DE hWS DIA PUROS ("And he himself will be
> saved but thusly: as through fire").
>
> hOUTWS here acts as a proleptic adverb, refering to the adverbial
> phrase hWS DIA PUROS, qualifying AUTOS DE SWQHSETAI (as you said). But
> I don't think at all that Paul is assuring that such a man (whose
> "work" is burnt up) will be saved. Rather, he is asserting the
> *manner* in which such a man will be--*if* indeed he is: he himself
> must survive the test of fire (not just his "work"). And the
> implication of vv. 16-17 is that such a man *will not* pass the test.

Steve, in his reponse to my post, said that this passage talks about three
types of leaders. The last type is talked about in vv 16-17. Only they
will be destroyed. Hmm, I simply thought that two types of people
are described here. So, my interpretation of v 15 was influenced by
vv 16-17.

Are there any clues that three types of leaders are talked about in this
passage?

Moon
Moon R. Jung
Sogang Univ, Seoul, Korea