[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Community Supported Agriculture (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 95 10:06:21 -0400
From: Bob Engelman <re@popact.org>
To: sustag@beta.tricity.wsu.edu
Subject: Re: Community Supported Agriculture (fwd)

Jeff Lakey writes:

>I've recently become exposed to the idea of Community Supported
>Agriculture.  I'm interested in its potential to help with the problem of
>agriculture around metropolitan areas serving as a temporary land use
>(awaiting retirement of the farmer and endless suburbanization).
>
>I presume it is recent, and don't expect to find much in the library
>literature about it, but will be checking there as well.  Anyone have a
>reference starting point to find out more?

        May I recommend a book called Farms of Tomorrow: Community
Supported Farms, Farm Supported Communities, by Trauger Groh and Steven
S.H. McFadden, published in 1990 by the Bio-Dynamic Farming and Gardening
Association, P.O. Box 550, Kimberton, PA 19442, 610-935-7797,
1-800-516-7797. The cost is $12.00 plus $2.75 for shipping.

        There is also an association called something like the North
American Association of Community Supported Agriculture. They have a few
minimalist publications which might be of service. I may be getting the
name a bit wrong and will try to return with more detailed information.

        The idea of community supported agriculture has its roots largely
in the German-speaking countries of Europe, with considerable influence as
well from Japan. Its philosophical roots lie in the agricultural ideas of
Rudolf Steiner, an Austrian philospher and scientist who lived from 1861 to
1925. Two key convictions guide the CSA movement, which is growing rapidly
in the United States and elsewhere: 1) that urban dwellers and other people
who do not personally grow food can buy shares in the annual output of a
local farmer, thus reducing her/his risk and providing her/him the capital
to 2) restore the soil and other agricultural resources so that the entire
community is enhanced by what the farm becomes and the activity that goes
on there. Good CSAs also involve shareholders in work, fun and community
activities on the farm, helping to teach children, for example, that food
does not come from the grocery store but from soil, water, sweat and love.

        I'm too busy at the moment to do so right now, but I hope to post
soon a document concerning the CSA of which I am a member, the Chesapeake
(Maryland) CSA near Washington, D.C.. The entire concept is one of the most
exciting I have encountered in the field of "sustainably-oriented"
agriculture, and I believe its future could be exceedingly bright.

Best,
Bob Engelman
Takoma Park, MD

This document (GUIDE) is the April 21, 1995 update of:
ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/academic/agriculture/sustainable_agriculture/GUIDE
For more information contact Lawrence London, london@sunSITE.unc.edu.

Accessing FAQs and Selected Information Resources at sunSITE.unc.edu

World Wide Web (lynx available via telnet for vt100 users)
 WWW URL info:
  http://sunsite.unc.edu/london/Gateway_to_Archives.html
  http://sunsite.unc.edu/london/Rec.Gardens-FAQs.html
  http://sunsite.unc.edu/london/Herb_Archives.html
 GOPHER URL info:
  URL for sustainable agriculture is:
  gopher://sunsite.unc.edu/11/.pub/academic/agriculture/sustainable_agriculture
/
         [add gardening/gardening-faqs/ to the path for the rec.gardens FAQs]
  URL for rural skills is:
  gopher://sunsite.unc.edu/11/.pub/academic/agriculture/rural-skills/
  URL for energy resources is:
  gopher://sunsite.unc.edu/11/.pub/academic/environment/alternative-energy/ener
gy-resources/
  URL for alternative healthcare is:
  gopher://sunsite.unc.edu/11/.pub/academic/medicine/alternative-healthcare/
  URL for pesticide education is:
  gopher://sunsite.unc.edu/11/.pub/academic/environment/pesticide-education/
 FTP URL info:
  file://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/academic/agriculture/sustainable_agriculture/
       [add gardening/gardening-faqs/ to the path for the rec.gardens FAQs]
  file://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/academic/agriculture/rural-skills/
  file://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/academic/medicine/alternative-healthcare/
       [the herb archives are here]
  file://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/academic/environment/alternative-energy/energy-res
ources/
  file://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/academic/environment/pesticide-education/

Anonymous FTP:
  ftp sunSITE.unc.edu
  Login: anonymous
  Password: (enter your Internet e-mail ID)
  cd pub/academic
    cd agriculture/sustainable_agriculture
      cd gardening/gardening-faqs
  cd pub/academic/agriculture/rural-skills
  cd pub/academic/medicine/alternative-healthcare
    cd herbs
  cd pub/academic/environment/alternative-energy/energy-resources
  cd pub/academic/environment/pesticide-education

WAIS (available via telnet, follow login instructions)

Ftpmail (Send e-mail to ftpmail@sunsite.unc.edu for help file on ftpmail usage)

Gopher: (gopher sunSITE.unc.edu)
The Worlds of sunSITE
  Sustainable Agriculture Information
    gardening
      gardening-faqs
  links to:
    Rural Skills: etc.
    Alternative Energy
    Alternative Healthcare
    Pesticide Education
    - other Gopher sites with ag/gardening information

The Worlds of SunSITE
  browse sunSITE archives
    academic
      agriculture
        sustainable_agriculture
          gardening
            gardening-faqs
        rural-skills

The Worlds of sunSITE
  browse sunSITE archives
    academic
      environment
        alternative energy
          energy-resources
        pesticide-education

The Worlds of sunSITE
  browse sunSITE archives
    academic
      medicine
        alternative healthcare
          herbs

sustainable agriculture, permaculture, IPM, landscaping, gardening,
farming, rural skills, horticulture, metalworking, woodworking, weather,
housebuilding, food, cooking, nutrition, ecology, environment, pesticide
education, health-safety-welfare, beekeeping, food preservation,
alternative: healthcare, energy, architecture, housing, communities
and many other related topics.

Partial list of topics
----------------------
historic food
food preserving
health-safety-welfare
sourdough bread-yoghurt-kraut-fermented foods
vegetarian cooking
alternative architecture
alternative/co-housing, sustainable/intentional communities - co-operatives
alternative healthcare
health and safety faqs
sustainable agriculture
gardening-farming-rural life
gardening faqs
landscaping-landscape architecture
permaculture
integrated pest management
hydrology
meteorology
beekeeping
hydroponics
biological pest control
mycology
botany
vermiculture
wildlife
hydroponics
aquaponics
bioremediation
aquaculture
guides to Internet agriculture/healthcare/environment/biology resources
homeopathy
ayurveda
nutrition
meditation

FAQ archives [partial list - see all directories labeled /faqs for others]
rec.gardens (/agriculture/sustainable_agriculture/gardening/gardening-faqs)
misc.rural (/agriculture/rural-skills/faqs)
rec.food.sourdough (/agriculture/rural-skills/food/sourdough/faqs)
rec.food.veg (/medicine/alternative-healthcare/faqs)
rec.crafts.metalworking (/agriculture/rural-skills/metalworking/faqs)
rec.woodworking (/agriculture/rural-skills/woodworking/faqs)
alternative energy (/environment/alternative-energy/miscellaneous)
sci.energy.hydrogen (/environment/alternative-energy/miscellaneous)
alt.meditation (/medicine/alternative-healthcare/faqs)
alt.co-ops (/environment/energy-resources/faqs
alt.housing.nontrad (/environment/energy-resources/faqs
alt.folklore.herbs (/medicine/alternative-healthcare/herbs/faqs)
sci.life-extension (/medicine/alternative-healthcare/faqs)
vegetarian (/medicine/alternative-healthcare/faqs)
sci.agriculture.beekeeping (/agriculture/sustainable_agriculture/beekeeping/faq
rec.food.preserving (/agriculture/rural-skills/food/food-preserving/faqs)
alt.backrubs (/medicine/alternative-healthcare/faqs)
alt.med.allergy (/medicine/alternative-healthcare/faqs)
alt.support.asthma (medicine/alternative-healthcare/faqs)

Mail Archives: