[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: re. "proving" biodynamic techniques

Ray:  what a brilliant, insightful, and stimulating commentary.
Thanks very much for taking time to write.  We just submitted a
manuscript on the issue of the Need for Long Term Research, and it
substantiated much of what you stated.  Very few "long term" studies
(in space or time) are conducted anymore, which allows us to monitor
short term responses to (largely purchased, proprietary) inputs but
which diverts us from observing and acknowledging the long term,
often biologically mediated responses to those inputs.  If time and
resources were available to continue these short term studies for
longer intervals, or at more locations,

a) we would be more aware of potential side effects (+ and -) which
unquestionably occur in response to these short term inputs, and
which would either encourage or discourage purchase of those short
term inputs, and

b) we would be much more aware of the repeatability of responses over
years and over locations - e.g. G x Management x
Environment interactions.  What works on research stations for a few
years may very well not work at all on farms that do not attempt to
mimic the level of control (fertility, drainage, timely harvest,
etc.) that pertains on research stations.

Your point on asking the right questions is BANG ON!  It is
entirely understandable that individual companies seek to fund
research of a proprietary nature - that will benefit them and
their sales prospects.  What I cannot figure out, however, is why
government funding priorities are increasingly supporting the short-
term, profit-motivated priorities of individual companies, instead of
the long-term, societal and environmental good of the people at
large.  Can they think that the two are synonymous?  Ann

ACLARK@crop.uoguelph.ca
Dr. E. Ann Clark
Associate Professor
Crop Science