[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

research validity

Friends,
	To continue the discussion that Ray has been talking so clearly
on, we must look at the scientific method and its objectivity. The method
is supposed to be objectively based but, as Ray pointed out pesticide
leaching is a reality after a previous study concluded it wasn't.
Bio-dynamic farming has one thing going for it that conventional research
does not. It looks at the spiritual side of farming and sees the whole
farm as an organism. It doesn't break the farm up into study plots
answering one question. It takes everything into account. According to
most cultures, religions, pychologists, etc. there is more than one
reality that people dwell in. Scientists with their objective material
mentality see the brain as a computer made of meat strictly. They deny
conscioussness. The Huna religion of Hawaii ( for an example) have four
realities in their world. Objective, subjective, symbolic, and holistic.
Maybe scientists need to look beyond their tunnel vision discipline and
take other factirs into account when conducting research. Although I am a
student, I know many scientists. They are all subjective beings with
opinions in every realm of life, but they think they can block that part
of their minds out while conducting experiments. I have stood alongside
some while they collect data. They do not seem completely objective to
me. And to conclude my comments, I think objectivism is one realm in the
many we must acknowledge and learn to live with. Because as Robert Anton
Wilson once said, "What the thinker thinks, the prover proves."

Ryan M Rich
Plant and Soil Science Department
467 Colchester Ave.#2
Burlington Vt. 05401
802-864-0347
Homesteader and organic farmer waiting to destroy industialism in a
violent dual of hoes
rrich@moose.uvm.edu