[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Joel Grossman's Excellent Post

Another possible explanation for reduced effectiveness of fumigants/soil
pesticides over time is the phenomenon of enhanced pesticide
biodegradation.  This is the accelerated dissipation of a chemical
from soil after repeated exposure of the soil to that chemical. The
cause is an increase in the population of microorganisms that use
the chemical as a nutrient or carbon source.  A good review of this
topic was written by A.S. Felsot, 1989. (Enhanced biodegradation of
insecticides in soil: implications for agroecosystems. Annual Review of
Entomology: 34:453-476)