[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

pt-lumber.newinfo

Article 233 of triangle.gardens:
Newsgroups: triangle.gardens
From: crsc@math.ncsu.edu (CRSC Account)
Subject: Re: Cold Frame Materials Question
Sender: news@ncsu.edu (USENET News System)
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1993 14:20:15 GMT

In article <CHzBr7.58K@unx.sas.com> sasbaa@fang.unx.sas.com (Anne Albright) writes:

>        Does anybody know what the considerations are for choosing a
>type of wood to use for a cold frame (that will be used for vegetables)?
>
>        I am interested in what preservatives can be used on the
>wood, if any, that won't cause a problem leaching into the soil or with
>fumes being absorbed by the plants. Is treated wood ok? Is it ok to
>use varnish? What can I put on untreated wood that would be ok?
>
>        Thanks a lot.

Check out the latest copy of Organic Gardening for the most thorough discussion
I've yet seen regarding the use of pressure-treated wood for gardening.
Although they didn't discuss alternatives in this article, (I think they did
in an article earlier in the year) I won't be using treated wood in any
projects in my garden unless they will be completely sealed - painted or
waterproofed.  They cite research that shows that contact with acidic
organics like compost, speeds the leaching of the chemicals into the soil.
One of the chemicals involved is arsenic; it can be absorbed by plants
and is particularly concentrated in the roots. I don't know if varnish is
ok for plants, but it probably would be a good way to seal the wood and
prevent chemical leaching. For other possible wood to use, you might consider
cedar (I think it has similar properties to redwood, which is about the
only wood used in outdoor projects in CA).

-- Lisa Becker

Õ.¨..Õwater-treatmentÕbioremediationÕ0&composting-to-clean-contaminated-soilsÕ groundwater-remediationÕh#fungal-mediated.soil-bioremediationFrom Gerhild.Donnevert@mni.fh-giessen.de Tue Apr 11 22:44:06 EDT 1995
Article: 55790 of sci.environment