[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Lead, community gardens and food

(Worried about lead in soil.)

>From what I remember about lead and plants, your main worry
will be children eating the soil.  Plants do not take up
lead readily via the roots.  Lead from contaminated air does
bond to leaf surfaces, but since most gasoline is now lead-
free that should not be a problem.

I would advise further research, though. Pertinent questions
are:
Will soil acidity affect lead uptake and, if so, how acidic
is the soil?
Do some plants take up lead more than others?
If there is uptake, is the lead concentrated in a particular
plant part, like the leaves or roots.

If you are concerned, raised beds would seem to solve any
problem.

Kelly Cassidy