Newsgroups: bionet.plants
From: owner@wxc.aber.ac.uk (Wasel Chemij)
Subject: Re: Plant pollution fighters
Sender: news@aber.ac.uk (USENET news service)
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1993 20:05:58 GMT

In article <1993Apr27.002303.3152@freenet.carleton.ca> ac571@Freenet.carleton.ca
           (Edwinna Von Baeyer) writes:

>Hi.  I'm a freelance writer/editor specializing in environmental
>topics, forestry, horticulture and landscape history.  Recently
>I read a short,general article about Bill C. Wolverton's work with
>measuring the amounts of household pollution caused by new carpets,
>recent paint jobs, etc.that a number of common house plants could
>absorb.  What I would like to know is where could I begin to search
>for related work on this subject -- is there a database, an index,
>or just specific journals I could check?  I'm not just interested in
>closed support systems, but would like to research on other plant
>experiments of the Wolverton type.  Any direction you could give
>me would be appreciated.
>Thanks,  Edwinna von Baeyer
>--
>Edwinna von Baeyer
>Writer/Researcher/Editor
>fax: (613)730-4246
>email: ac571@freenet.carleton.ca

Dear Edwinna,
             There was a small article in the New Scientist magazine
that mentioned that Yucca plants can take nitrogen from some gasses
in the air - from amines I think.  This allows the plant to survive
in poor soils.  In a domestic environment, these can act as natural
air fresheners, any some of the 'odours' that humans and pets give
off that make a room stuffy or stale, are also amines.  The article
is at least a year old, and there may be a reference to a more technical
article.
			Good Luck

					Vas

 Could you post you findings to the net?

Article 1149 of bionet.plants:
:              There was a small article in the New Scientist magazine
: that mentioned that Yucca plants can take nitrogen from some gasses
: in the air - from amines I think.  This allows the plant to survive
: in poor soils.  In a domestic environment, these can act as natural
: air fresheners, any some of the 'odours' that humans and pets give
: off that make a room stuffy or stale, are also amines.  The article
: is at least a year old, and there may be a reference to a more technical
: article.

.... I heard, at a seminar a couple of weeks ago, that it would take
about 40% Yucca extract in a pig diet to reduce the level of ammonia in
the animal's gut to the levels claimed for commercial feed additives.

It seems that Yucca extract is a very popular product :-)

Does anyone know _how_ Yucca extract came to be used as a feed additive?

	Tony.
--
Dr. A.J.Travis,                       |  JANET: <ajt@uk.ac.sari.rri>
Rowett Research Institute,            |  other: <ajt@rri.sari.ac.uk>