[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Bioremediation experiment: Please help with Aeration problem

Hello all,
 	 I have built a solar/wind powered, simulated saltmarsh aboard
a fifty-three foot barge and have some questions about aeration. I need to
provide enough aeration for the nitrifying bacteria in the primary
treatment tanks (8x55gallons total), and also need to start aeration in
the solar algae tanks (8x66gallons) to support the algavores (snails and
fish).
	I had a 120v/2500W generator which I had planned to use to run
a homemade aeration system... It never did put out enough current to even
get the pump to run then, one tragic day <sniff, sniff>, the generator
stopped generating.  Should I try to find a commercial solution?  Or is
there some wonderfully simple, homemade solution to my aeration woes? Am I
going to need120v to run a dependable aeration system, or is it doable
with 12vdc?  I also ponder mechanical aeration, ie. when the wind blows
the tanks are aerated, but that too is a bit problematic.  Mechanical
aeration would be great when windy but it would need to be supplemented by
a secondary system for times of little wind. hmph.
	  Any input or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
William

Regarding land application of sewage sludge and the accumulation of
dangerous levels of toxic metals in the soil:

Many, perhaps hundreds, of hyperaccumulating plants have been identified.
These take up large quantities of toxic metals from the medium in which
they are grown. Perhaps large tracts of marginal farmland could be devoted
to sludge recycling where certain hyeraccumulating plants could be grown
as cover crops, harvested and themselves recycled to reclaim the heavy metals.
Tracts farmed this way could be rotated allowing a certain percentage
of the total acreage to lay fallow for periods of time.
The plant residue allowed to remain after harvest would serve to raise
levels of organic matter in the soil, thus increasing soil tilth and reducing
the time required for soil preparation with farm equipment.
During fallow times, acreage could be used to produce cash crops such as
ornamental nursery stock (esp. plant material used for erosion control,
bioremediation (air cleaning in urban areas), wind, sound, visual buffers
and wildlife habitat). Tree farming for saw timber, fuel, wood pulp and
chips, growing of biomass for synfuel and paper production could be done as
well.
Collection basins below slopes on this farmland could collect runoff to be
processed in partitioned lagoons inside greenhouses where a variety of
marine organisims and aquatic plants could detoxify the effluent.

--------
Could anyone suggest any references about hyperaccumulating plants,
marine and soil organisims that are able to thrive under polluted conditions
and bioremediation technology?

Lawrence

london@sunsite.unc.edu