[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Mustards as fumigants

I personally agree with you about the value of brassicas as alternatives
to soil fumigants but would like to remind us all that green manures in
general have the value of generally feeding the bottom of the soil -
detrital food chain which must promote an increase in soil respiration,
competition, antibiosis, and at some point, biodiversity.  Most any
green manure crop when turned under green and young is, therefore, apt
to have a beneficial effect on the disease problem potential situation
on following crops.  When we select soil fumigant act alike green
manures such as the brassicas and sudan grass,  we get the double effect
of direct initial mortality to most anything in the soil including the
disease causitive organisms we are concerned about plus apparently some
species of small seeded weeds followed by a great energy rich food
source for recolonizing saprophytes and food wed they support.
Otherwise they would be of limited ecological value - just home grown
cheep fumigants.

I still believe that we are missing the boat by talking about
"alternatives to Methyl Bromide".  The fact is that Methyl Bromide  IS
the alternative;  the alternative to good husbandry and soil health. And
thanks for your excellent article in IPM Practitioner,  it informed and
inspired a lot of people.