[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Wood ash as a soil amendments

jdstewa@ibm.net wrote:
: In <3lf68q$k4p@cmcl2.NYU.EDU>, eqn7918@is2.nyu.edu (Eiko  Naito) writes:
: >: I'm looking for info on the use of bio-ash as a soil amendment, mainly
: >While wood ash is useful in raising pH for your compost, exercise
: >moderation.

: Exactly, how acidic is compost?  Does the PH vary with the starting material
: and stage of decomposition?

: I have been using sulfur to lower the PH on sand knolls and it is way too expensive!

I surmise from your question, that you consider to use compost as a way
to lower the pH on your sand knolls.

Good composted material should be only weakly acidic, but it sure
has an effect by raising the buffer capacity in soil.
While composting, the aerobic degradation of organic material tends to
produce weak organic acids. This can bring the composting process on the
wrong track, and undesirably changes the transformation in the pile. Adding
wood ash in sprinkle amounts when building the pile can control this -
but surely moderation is required when adding wood ash. To much will do
harm to the process also. If you don't have wood ash, some amount of good
quality soil would have to be added to the pile to control the acids
produced by the composting process.

Kind regards,

Torsten Brinch

: TIA,
: John Stewart

--
; Torsten Brinch               If you understand nothing but chemistry, ;

Article 17834 of rec.gardens: