[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Humus -- rural -> urban -> rural

Responding to Dick R. on the issue of composting.  Just curious about
the comment that it is better if composting occurs in the soil.  Just
finished an M.Sc. student doing a study on composting and we didn't
come across this idea in the lit.  I'd be interested in learning what
it is that is more beneficial about composting in-situ - in the soil -
 as against ahead of time.  Evidence from the literature?
Conventional organic wisdom hereabouts sees placement of raw manure
directly into the soil as a net negative, because of a) rapid release
of N which destabilizes cycling, b) VFA's which can be caustic, and
c) potential for anaerobic decomposition when high moisture substrate
(whether animal manure or direct cut red clover) is plowed into the
soil.  As an example, they recommend cutting and wilting red clover
plowdown before plowing it in, to avoid this problem.

Good points on "waste" management at landfills!  Ann
ACLARK@crop.uoguelph.ca
Dr. E. Ann Clark
Associate Professor
Crop Science
University of Guelph
Guelph, ON  N1G 2W1
Phone:  519-824-4120 Ext. 2508
FAX:  519 763-8933
Tue 16 Mar 93  9:02
By: Helen Fleischer
Re: Crab Waste

This was tucked away in a corner of the Washington Post Business
section a little while ago.  I seem to remember some discussion of various
uses of crab waste, so I thought it might be of interest.

NEW EARTH SERVICES INC. of Cambridge , Md., has found a way to turn leftover
shell parts and other waste from Chesapeak e blue crabs into an organic
fertilizer that eliminates the major problem of seafood-based fertilizers-the
odor . The c ompany's president, Pat Condon, 43 , a former Chicago options
trader, said he grew weary of his high-pressure job and d ecided to try
something new. Condon said his fledgling company has found the right blend of
oxygen and wood chips that takes the odor out of thousands of tons of crab
"chum." Before the process is completed, however, there's enough odor t o knock
you down, Condon said. The effort is one of several in which Maryland
entrepreneurs are turning waste into busi ness opportunities with help from
University of Maryland research funds and technical advice. In another case,
Kanan As sociates Inc. of Columbia transforms rubber from old tires into a
component for noise barriers next to highways and air ports. Pedro Albrecht ,
professor of civil engineering at College Park, helped with the project .

 * Origin: Three Mausketeers (1:109/172)
Article 22831 of rec.gardens: